Sunday, September 10, 2006

Dissecting a Crisis with a 6-pack

(Damn! I have not posted anything in this blog for the looooongest time!!!!)

I have read somewhere that the peak of our lucidity happens between the last seconds of sobriety before succumbing to drunkeness. This short amount of time is when our thoughts are the clearest. I think I had that experience during my last rest day.

Work pratically eats up three-quarters of my life, so during rest days, I try to get as much "me" time as possible. Last Monday night, I decided that my "me" time would mean watching DVD marathon of Grey's Anatomy (my new obsession, by the way!) and gulping a 6-pack of SMB Light while muching on Cheetos as my pulutan. I thought it was perfect night.

My fourth bottle - I was a bit tipsy. Fifth - I was TIPSY.

By the 6th bottle, I started getting philosophical. I think this is when I had that "lucid" and "clear thoughts." I asked myslef questions, questions like, "Uhm, why am I here? What's my purpose in life?"

I'm 24, this could not be mid-life crisis. I might be having my "Quarter-Life Crisis." This is a stage in life wherein people of my age (say, between 24 - 30) start digging into their deeper purpose. This is stage of our lives when we look back to the decisions that we made and look forward into the life that could be ahead of us.

"Grey's Anantomy" is series about 5 aspiring doctors trying to survive their internship. Watching them perform complicated medical stuff and save lives made me green with envy. I mean, they say fancy things like

"We have to operate on his brains to prevent the rapid spread of the paralysis, but there is a risk of the patient losing his memory since we are gonna touch his cerebral whatchamacallit and render permanent damage..."

or

"Nurse, is this the result of the High-Level MRI? Hmmm... Dr. Burke, we might need an open-heart surgery to remove the clot that's blocking the aorta, and then we would replace his valve through a complicated procedure known as the porcine method that only I can do. Do you concur?"

I mean, wouldn't it be cool to say that??? Compare that to what I usually say on a daily basis:

"Guys, handle your calls efficiently, we need to lower down our AHT!"

Oh, oh, one more:

"Guys, CSAT, remember to smile when talikng with the customer. Hey, you there, I don't like your tone, be friendly, ok?

And hear on a daily basis:

TL can you fix my TKS error? Is it okay?


DO I HAVE A CHOICE?????


BLEAK!!! AS IN MAJOR BLEAK!

I got into comparing being a surgeon and what I currently do. First of all, they get to have so much fun at work. I mean, nothing is routinary. Everyday there is something new, something weird, something exciting. The only excitement that I get from this job is when it's the 15th and the 30th.

What would you prefer, scrubbing DS or opening a skull and literally pick on a persons brain?

Second, they can make mistakes and kill someone, but they can always declare it as "natural death." Here, mistakes are counted by the instance, each mis-step means either a lashing from your boss or the most dreaded CAP. The ppside though is no one would die if we commit mistakes, the worst that can happen as a result of your mistake is a very low CSAT.

And third: They get to have sex in the workplace! I mean, they do it everywhere, in the OR, sleeping quarters, labs, just about anywhere when you can cram a person an a half! Try doing that here and you'll probably be the talk of the town to the nth level that would take a scandal like the "Take it! Take it!" for it to be forgotten.

Seriously, this got me into thinking of the decisions I made in the past. Where would I be if I have taken, let's say Medicine instead of MassComm? I would probably still in school today, but the difference is, I know my purpose.

What am I doing here? I think that's what I am trying to ask right now. I am not saying that I am not happy with my current job, but is there joy in what I do? Why can't I celebrate the fact that I have a stable job that provides for me? Am I in my right place under the sun? Why do I feel like this when tons of people would kill over the opportunities that I am getting? Why, oh, why?

While trying to get the answers for these questions, I think I'd like to grab another 6-pack and maybe we can talk it over. Whatcha think?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home